JulieDoe

Julie Doe

Trick of the Light - Rob Thurman Others have provided synopses, so I won't rehash the story line here. I really liked Rob Thurman's Cal/Niko Leandros series, so I wanted to like this book as well. However, several things just didn't work for me:

The book is told in the first person (not necessarily bad), but the narrator, Trixa, is unrelentingly, annoyingly sarcastic. There were times when I wished I could reach into the book, shake her, and say "be serious for just *one* moment, please." I appreciate sarcasm, but all the time? It made her seem shallow, and I wasn't able to connect with her at all.

Griffin and Zeke seem like a gay, non-fraternal re-imaginging of Cal and Niko - the younger one, with a dark past and trouble adjusting, who is cared for by the older, handsome, competent one. This set-up didn't feel very...original.

The big surprise at the end, for the reader, is something that Trixa already knows - and has known all along. We've been in her head this whole time, and not once did she think about anything relating to the big surprise even though it was relevant to the story. As a reader, I feel deceived by Trixa, which only adds to my not liking her.

I don't know if there is going to be another book in this series, but I won't be reading it if Trixa remains as the narrator. I *am* looking forward to ROADKILL, the next in the Cal/Niko series.