JulieDoe

Julie Doe

The Greek Seaman - Jacqueline Howett Like many others, I found my way to this book via the Twitter explosion and various review blogs. I downloaded the sample from Smashwords to judge for myself how good the writing was, and I can honestly say that I found it clumsy and amateurish. In the first few pages alone, we have: commas consistently omitted when a person's name is used in direct address; "grinned" and "smiled" used incorrectly as dialogue tags; lack of hyphenation where required; lack of apostrophes in possessives; lack of apostrophes in contractions; etc. A random error here or there doesn't bother me, but the simply overwhelming number here pull me right out of the story. In addition to basic errors, there are awkward constructions such as (and this is a limited selection; there are more examples):

"She carried her stocky build carefully back down the stairs."

"Katy detected in her mother in laws eyes her reading into something more with where they were really going together in life."

"It was business as usual in the café square facing about the yachts in down town Piraeus. By three o, clock it was usually crowded any time of year. A string of café venues stood side by side marked their own territory by different color umbrellas, where only waiters served tables. The weather for mid February had climbed to sixty-eight degrees."

The problems in this book are why I don't generally read self-published books. There could very well be a good story buried under this mess, but I don't have the patience to try to dig it out.